"Archived Notes" cells

Hello everyone,

I have a column marked "Notes" in one of my workbooks where people can enter freeform text. What I'd like to be able to do is "copy" that data to a Archive Notes column for that row and every subsequent update of the "notes" field append/concatenate the previous value with the existing values in the Archive Notes column for that row.

Any thoughts? Been scratching my head on this one for a few days.

Thanks!

Hi @BradArtman :slight_smile:

Nice to see you! For an idea, you could have a table of "Notes" that are each entered with a timestamp and associated to a particular item (with a rowlink). This set up would allow you to either view all or filter and sort older notes. (Think of the table itself as the "archive" and what's displayed in the app is just filtered).

This is how I set it up:

There's a table of notes, which has a rowlink to an items table:

The items table can also have a filter column that contains all of the notes like this:

In your app, add a button that adds a row to the notes table, and writes the note, the timestamp (with NOW()), the submitter (with $[SYS_USER]), and the associated item:

Then add a column list that would display the notes. I filtered the list by the item on the screen and applied the sort feature under the Display tab (by time submitted):

This is how it looks in action:

Hope this example helps, or inspires a solution for you! :honey_pot:

1 Like

This worked perfectly! Thanks so much!

1 Like

@BradArtman Great! I'm happy that helped you out :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.