Can Honeycode call api's or endpoints from other services?

Can Honeycode call api's or endpoints from other services? Or is it supposed to just be an isolated sandbox?

11 Likes

Hi @Stev-cc6e, welcome to the community! Honeycode does have APIs which allow you to programmatically access Honeycode apps. Check out this article for more information: Getting Started with Honeycode APIs

2 Likes

I think they were asking if the App can call to external services like a webhook or sending json data. From what I can tell, email is the only external action. I only played with the app for a few minutes though.

4 Likes

Would be amazing if you could intergrate Zapier

5 Likes

Sure, or shopify/square type services.

3 Likes

I meant calling external services/APIs of other platforms, REST, Graphql etc. What support is there for that and code execution?

4 Likes

Hi @onizo and @Stev-cc6e, thanks for the interest in this topic! This is exactly the kind of feedback/input we're looking for. Curious if you could elaborate a bit more on use case(s) you may be thinking about, and let's see what we might be able to come up with from there. Looking forward to hearing more...

1 Like

My idea was that if you could consume a JSON API into a table (set the schema first and match it in a GUI to whatever the API spits out), that would be a great help to getting data from different systems into an interface where it's easy to use. Excel has functionality somewhat like this in Power Query, but it's not that friendly (and you can't build a frontend on it like you can with this).

Kind of the opposite of hasura.

3 Likes

Basics would be have some workflow then the last step is to submit that data to a API Endpoint on some service. Then a webhook to receive the result when it's done to go to a new workflow.

1 Like

Great conversation here, all. And thanks for sharing the use cases and ideas!

One possible option to achieve what you are describing is to periodically read Honeycode data via the GetScreenData API from a Lambda, and then when the data changes in what you are seeking, call an external webhook. I know this may not be ideal, but it could be a consideration (for now) since we do not support calling external services/APIs of other platforms.

In the meantime your feedback is going to the product team, so please keep it coming in!

7 Likes

Is calling external services / APIs in your roadmap?
This will make the platform very useful.

4 Likes

Is there a way to try out the Honeycode APIs without upgrading to the Pro/Plus plan?

1 Like

Or to hook into Twilio to send SMS or make a call or use the chat. Just need ability to consume any api.

3 Likes

Hi @Shub-ab03, today in order to leverage our APIs, the Pro/Plus plan is required.

1 Like

Hi @Sent-a24c and @Dere-e6e6, we appreciate the suggestions and feedback! And @Sent-a24c, your comment of "This will make the platform very useful" is definitely heard. We'll continue to provide these inputs in with our product team, so thank you for sharing!

1 Like

Thanks AJ.
I look forward to a version where we will be be able to use HoneyCode not only to call external APIs but also to consume AWS native services.
Wishing HoneyCode team all the best in building "Builders Paradise".

6 Likes

This is not useful to us as it is. But if we could use this for non-devs to create their own applications by easily accessing our service data in Appsync / graphql / Dynamo DB / Athena / RDS, it would be a huge boon.

Otherwise, useless for our needs, we're using Google Data Studio for now, and generally don't like it. Would love something like HoneyCode with deep integration with data from other AWS storage and services. Honeycode should be a client of Appsync/Amplify

1 Like

Definitely agree with that and to ability to make external REST or Graphql calls.

2 Likes

Implicit in leveraging Appsync / GraphQL is coming up with a good way to explore such services as part of "wiring" them into the Honeycode apps

Hi , here is my suggestion, it would be better that HoneyCode team , place full batteries on this topic , NinoX.com , Coda.io , Airtable.com , at this time are playing hard with high quality programming skills for Devs. May be you all know that all over the world are plenty of small and middle companies changing into or creating new business process - CoVid19- . It is not an opportunity to lose. Thanks for the effort of reading this suggestion.