Create a whatsapp clone

Hey all
AWS asked us to consider replatforming from Bubble.io to Honeycode, a challenge I'm excited to undertake. However I'm bumping into a few difficulties even when looking into the basics, so I thought I'll start with a simple one.

How would you build a whatsapp clone in Honeycode?

The challenges I can't seem to answer:

1. Only show data for the person logged in
  2. Security / Encryption of the data
  3. Data table optimisation: is the excel-like structure of the database fast enough for this?
  4. Adding other users (user type) to your contacts
  5. Adding pictures into the database
  6. Understanding the pricing of such an app:
    -6a. What are the key cost drivers, and
    -6b. will the service work fast enough for users to be worth the investment?

Thanks for your help!

Moderator note: Edited post.

From a pricing perspective, I can't imagine the current Honeycode pricing would be feasible. If you add up rows for Messages, Users, and Added Contacts, this will easily go over 100.000 rows before monetisation becomes possible.

I mean, we're competing with Messenger, Whatsapp, etc. All free, fast and unlimited

Hello @www.Kunekt.us! Let's see if we can help answer your questions around the difficulties you're running into. I'll provide responses inline below:

1. Only show data for the person logged in:

Our How to Personalize App Views article should help you achieve this ask. Essentially, each row would have an assignee column, and then you could personalize the list view in Builder to show only app user-specific data of assignee.

1. Security / Encryption of the data

I recommend reading our App Data & Security article as a starting point.

1. Data table optimisation: is the excel-like structure of the database fast enough for this?

Could you please clarify this in more detail? What are you trying to accomplish or what are you trying to solve?

1. Adding other users (user type) to your contacts

Our Sharing Workbooks & Apps article should help you on adding contacts and the different access levels you can give them.

1. Adding pictures into the database

We currently don't support images, but I'll submit your feedback as a feature request. You can also read this How to add Images? topic, as others have submitted similar suggestions.

1. Understanding the pricing of such an app:
    -6a. What are the key cost drivers, and
    -6b. will the service work fast enough for users to be worth the investment?

Based on your reply, it looks as though you found the information you were looking for. However, I'll pass along your feedback to the Product team for consideration around pricing.

Thanks Taylor, this info is much appreciated.

With data table optimisation I'm referring to the fact that users expect lightning fast response times when it comes to messaging, whereas they don't expect this for general in-house business apps. That means that the technology needs to be optimised for this, and I'm wondering if such speed is possible in Honeycode

Thanks in advance for any further help

Thanks for expanding on this point, @www.Kunekt.us. I recommend building a prototype and testing to see if it meets your requirements. If you experience any issues, do let us know though. Happy building!

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.