Data Validation: Only allow Letters or Only allow Numbers

Good morning Team,

How to restrict user only input either Letters or Numbers Only?

Thanks San

Hi @San,

Happy to help with this one :slight_smile:

You are able to restrict input to a particular format in the properties of the data cell. For example, if you wish to have a field that only accepts numbers, you would set up like this:

For letters, you can use the format of "Plain Text." This however, allows both letters and numbers (alphanumeric input).

Since there's not a format option to only have letter characters, I can pass that along as an improvement request. Just so our team has more info, could you provide your use case of how this particular format restriction would be useful?

Thanks.

How about only Letters? To prevent numbers or special characters in name field?

Hi @San,

As noted in my above reply, there's no format that restricts to only letters, so I have submitted an improvement request for this to our team.

The "Plain Text" format allows for alphanumeric (both letters and numbers), which would be your best option for now.

Also, are you able to give us your use case for only letters, so I can add those detail to the improvement request? That would be helpful for our team to have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Use Case: Fields which requires only letters live Contact Persons Name or City Name, this is a very generic use case any platform should have. Some coding language implement regex, which is very common. Data input must be control in the form input field itself so that we have better data integrity, which is a very essential to have.

Relying on Submit button validation needs to reduced. I think Honeycode relies too heavy on Submit button for Data validation.

So please make sure this gets prioritized; which will enhance Honeycode user experience. Hope this helps......

Hi @San,

Got it, thanks for sharing that use case info :slight_smile: I've just passed it along to the team (included it on the improvement request).

And yes, that's a great note to highlight. I can see how having more built-in features that restrict format or create data validation would improve Honeycode user experience and ease-of-use.

Let us know if you have any other thoughts on this, or think of anything else that you'd like to see in Honeycode. :honeybee: