External Integrations - Share your feedback!

I just need to be able to call into / out of a REST / HTTP endpoint at a minimum.

Some quick examples of the need.

On a customer record change -> call out to a document generation app / URL to generate contract / agreement.

Be able to query an external data source on new record creation to populate additional fields from a datastore.

Write a custom function to populate a pricing cell using a URL / webservice.

3 Likes

Hi everyone! It's been great reading about all of your use cases related to external integrations. This information is essential for our team to better understand and prioritize your suggestions.

Please continue to contribute to the conversation! :honeybee:

3 Likes

I have multiple spreadsheets, each having multiple tabs, Data is added to sheet mostly by copy-paste from another source, data is validated where some validations are simple, some complex, some require a reference to another tab in same spreadsheet or another spreadsheet. Validation outcome is stored in another tab of same sheet where each error detail is stored in one row
To use Honeycode, here is what I came up with..

1. Create workbook for each spreadsheet and create table for each tab in that spreadsheet. Have more tables to store validation outcome
  2. Make App screens to Read, Add, Update and Delete records.
  3. Create an external app (Lambda probably) using Honeycode APIs (get_screen_data and invoke_screen_automation) to communicate with Honeycode Workbook. This external app can populate Honeycode tables from external source, validate the data and store validation result in honeycode
  4. Errors can be corrected in honeycode and then validation can be initiated again from external app.

If we can have a way to call lambda or external end point inside honeycode, switching between honeycode and external app can be avoided.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: SAML integration for IAM instead of creating TEAMS

It would be nice if a Honeycode automation can invoke a Lambda directly. Like you would from CloudWatch Events, SNS, etc.

Additionally, create EventBus events as automation action.

1 Like

We've pretty much switched 100% to AWS AppSync and thus GraphQL for all our data. So we would love to be able to flow data from the AppSync Graphql into HoneyCode.. A lower priority right now but eventually we would like to flow from AWS Athena into HoneyCode. Until we have AppSync integration we can't use HoneyCode. But would really like to use it!

1 Like

Hi everyone, it's great to see the new suggestions around external integrations. Please keep your feature requests coming our way :honeybee:

I am going to be straight and direct. The concept of low code GUI tool is great. Hosted by AWS, no doubt, it is hard to beat. I am pretty sure the Honeycode engineers know how important to support on interfacing with an external API and/otr REST api - to transfer data between the UI and backend. Without it, this Honeycode is not quite ready for the prime time. I understand that Honeycode is still in beta. Can the Honeycode team provide a roadmap of the features, say for the coming one year? It would be very helpful. Thanks.

2 Likes

The primary use case for integrations and Honeycode we're evaluating is enabling business users (who are non-technical users) to manage reference and master data. Aka creating a simple application for non-technical users to click into and then adjust mappings, and create a history log of adjustments to mappings that would trigger notifications to other users. AWS has no great/minimal master data management solution that does not require technical coding. If HoneyCode gets directly connected with AWS EventBridge, it would be super helpful. If HoneyCode can interface with S3 data, even change the values of the data in a file in S3, it would be super helpful.

2 Likes

That's exactly our use case as well. Need a user friendly to "democratize" masterdata.

1 Like

We would appreciate SQL or ODBC integration to connect with FileMaker Pro and Servoy

1 Like

Hi,
first of all Honeycode looks like something that would be great fit into needs of our company. Unfortunately lack of external connections stops us from using that and most likely, for now, we will need to use Glide for it's Zappier integration. Although it would be much more logical for me to use HoneyCode due to the fact company is fully on AWS.
To answer your questions in detail:

• What’s the problem that you’re looking to solve?
    I'm building an application that will allow our customers to create orders through app an then let us monitor the progress of manufacturing the items for specific order. Application should be interactive enough to work with DynamoDB data, Lambda, S3.
  • What products, if any, are you looking to integrate with?
    Most important: DynamoDB & Lambda
    Second: S3/Athena/AppSync
    Third: If above not possible or require long time to deliver, Zapier would do the job
  • Are you asking for more programmatic interfaces
    If I can invoke Lambda from HoneyCode App and HoneyCode app can be connected directly to dynamoDB table I don't need anything more. Having lambda I can develop anything I need on AWS site.
  • How are you/is your team currently blocked?
    Lack of integrations don't allow me to interact with data that is stored in different ASW locations. I can't develop my App using Honeycode. I will go with Glide + Zapier for now and when HoneyCode get matured I'll try to replatform.

One more favor to ask- few people before me, asked for roadmap for external integrations. Having that would be great thing because gives feelings when Honecode will become production ready from different use cases perspective.

Regards
Andrzej

1 Like
  • What’s the problem that you’re looking to solve? I want to expose a simple UI for lambda functions I have written so team members can utilize my lambda functions without having to log into the AWS console and without having any knowledge of lambda
  • What products, if any, are you looking to integrate with? Really just the ability to send a HTTPS GET or POST request. That would give us the basic integration that we require with Lambda AWS and just about any other service.
  • Are you asking for more programmatic interfaces ? No, just the ability to send a request to an endpoint.
  • How are you/is your team currently blocked? [example] “ Business users don't have knowledge of requests, or lambda, or the aws interface. They just want a simple app to call code that us on the dev team have written.
1 Like

Hello

We work with redshift and tableau and I'd like to replicate a commentary app for my dashboards as per this use case below which integrates google sheets/forms:
    https://playfairdata.com/how-to-make-your-new-favorite-commenting-system-in-tableau/

Redshift, expose ctable from redshift to be used by the honeycode app
    Tableau via http. Expose a form from honeycode to tableau as http

Are you asking for more programmatic interfaces ? No, just the ability to send a request to an endpoint.
Not really, just the table in honeycode is a db table not a sheet and the form is exposed via http not only via sharing in the honeycode site

As above

Notes:
We cant use google sheets.forms or sharepoint/forms for a number of reasons and I was about to start hacking a webpage/PHP solution together but thought I'd try honeycode as was hoping it could connect to redshift.

The idea is to have the comments table in redshift along with our dashboard source data, if this could hook upto the table in honeycode we can build the CRUD functions for maintaining the comments. Importantly though one for the createcomments forms would need to be exposed via a http link which could be embeded in tableau for comments creation.
Then tableau would refresh from the redshift db as normal and expose the comments in a section on the dashboard.

This is currently all possible with azure/powerapps but we can't use microsoft

1 Like

A CPQ (configure, price, quote) workflow based off our internal pricing data plus data from the AWS Pricing API

AWS Pricing API

• Are you asking for more programmatic interfaces ?
    I guess so in that it's a 'external' REST API for JSON data.

I'd have to download the rather large dataset as static tables when I really need only specific data.

1 Like

Hi folks, we've got some exciting updates to Honeycode, such as integrations with Zapier and Amazon AppFlow!

Check out our Release Notes - December 2, 2020 for all of the details, and please continue to share your feedback :honeybee:

1 Like

Hi @Taylor, I would like to see Honeycode as a trigger in Amazon Appflow instead of just receiving end. An input in Honeycode can trigger data changes in RDS PostgreSQL or Quicksight.

2 Likes

Honeycode supports a variety of methods for Single Signon, none of which are Amazon's own Cognito or the open OAuth standard. Please add support for at least OAuth (which gives us a path for utilization of Cognito).

2 Likes