Honeycode: One Year Later

I don't know if this is the best place to write this - I apologise if it isn't. :grimacing:

I've been using Honeycode extensively for well over a year now, and in spite of all of its glitches, gimmicks, steep learning curve and limitations, Honeycode has been absolutely instrumental in the scaling of my business.

I wanted to combine a few of the top feedback I had on Honeycode after one year of (very) extensive usage:

1. Using common spreadsheet formulas has made searching up documentation (eg. example usage for each formula) on Google very easy! I think the Functions & Formulas page could include hyperlinks to external Excel documentation sites to make formula research easier for developers. Using spreadsheet formulas was a great call by Honeycode's early developers.

2. While it's not perfect, Honeycode's integration with Zapier to link to other apps is actually a lot more flexible and useful than I initially thought it would be. At the moment, I'm automating emails, creating invoices, cloning customer records, and even sending birthday reminders, all through Zapier/Honeycode. I think this is where Honeycode's capabilities really shine - and would be one area where many would benefit from more detailed documentation, including example use cases. It took me a while to figure out how I could really use Zapier to complement Honeycode; or that I could have custom Honeycode formulas trigger Zapier automations by creating rows in dedicated tables using Honeycode automations, then having Zapier read new rows off of that table.

3. It's really nice that there is no limitation on the number of workbooks users are able to create on Honeycode. Without a dedicated backup function (which is much needed in Honeycode), this has been the only way we users could make backup files, and I wouldn't feel comfortable using Honeycode otherwise.

4. Compared to competing no-code solutions such as MS PowerApps (which was an absolute nightmare to use when I tried it for a while), Honeycode's block-based layouts are definitely the way to go! Whilst not the most aesthetically pleasing, it's by far the easiest way to create apps in a neat and sustainable way across multiple screen sizes. It would certainly be nice to have more advanced views such as calendar views and sublists (lists for each row of another list), but what's there is enough to make most views work one way or another.

5. One of the biggest barriers for entry to Honeycode for me was the fact that Honeycode doesn't support other timezones / date formats. While there are workarounds for timezone differences, the inability to display dates in the format of dd/mm/yyyy has caused quite a few clerical errors with my team in the past. I wouldn't say it's the end of the world nor something that would deter me from using Honeycode at this stage, but it's one of those small things that I think would be infinitely more useful for new users than any amount of basic templates churned out by the team recently.

Overall, massive kudos to the Honeycode team for all your hard work. Please know that the work you do is playing a massive role in so many industries, and my team would not be where we are today without Honeycode. :+1:

Keep up the amazing work!!

2 Likes

Hi @Eric0,

Thank you so much for your post! We’re so happy to hear about your experience using Honeycode.

This is a really great recommendation. I will communicate this feedback to our team.

Glad to hear that you have found the Zapier integration useful. The versatility of your automations is really impressive! Not sure if you've already seen this, but we recently released this Zapier documentation.

A backup function has been a common request, but it's great that you found the ability to clone workbooks useful for your needs.

It’s great to know that you find Honeycode so powerful. This UI feedback is very helpful, as well. We really appreciate the view suggestions, such as calendars and sub lists.

I have noted these feature requests, and will pass them all along to our team.

We really appreciate you taking the time to provide your feedback. Please let us know if you have any other thoughts or questions!

Thank you,
Evelyn

1 Like