List in a list

Hi, first post here :stuck_out_tongue:

I have a list that renders a few fields per row. One of them is formatted as a filter over another table and is rendered as a counter.
Instead of a number, I'd like to show a small list of values.
I tried to drag a list inside a list but it's not allowed. Is there an alternative way?

Thanks a lot!

Sadly, no lists within lists just yet. However, you can let a user navigate from a list item to a detail page, and then show your list there.

For example, first I see a list of movies, then click a movie to see the list of cast members.

Hi @McMorry, as @AndrewB had mentioned, we currently do not support lists inside of lists. However, this is an interesting need and therefore we'd love to hear more from you about your use case. We have guidance on how to submit feature requests, but in a nutshell, would you mind sharing the following?

• What’s your feature request? E.g. List in a list.
  • What’s the problem that you’re looking to solve? Example, “ I’m building a project status tracking app for my team of six. I’d like to export views of my web app into a PDF on a weekly basis so I can send it out to external stakeholders .”
  • How are you/is your team currently blocked? Example, “ Since I can’t export into a PDF, I don’t have the option to share information in a clean way to my stakeholders. I have to copy and paste information in various tables, which isn’t convenient .”

Thanks in advance!

2 Likes

@McMorry also wanted to give an example of what Andrew had mentioned where a user could click on a list item (or button within the list item) which would navigate to another associated list. Continuing with the movie theme, here we go:

The setup is quite simple:

Hope this is a decent alternative to what you're trying to accomplish!

1 Like

Thank you @AndrewB and @aj.

Yes, I'm aware of these alternatives and I already built a very nice application that allows recording and editing records with multiple related tables. It's super fast and powerful!

About my use case:

What’s your feature request?
List inside a list to show a list of values inside a "field" of records that are part of a list.

What’s the problem that you’re looking to solve?
I have a view that shows a list of products. Each product can have, for example, one or more color variants.
I have a product table and a product_x_color table that I use for the many-to-many relation.
Then I have a view of products where I'd like do see the associated color for each product, instead of a counter (as it appears now).

How are you/is your team currently blocked?
Now, when we have to insert and validate our products, we have to open the detail page for every single product.
It is time-consuming and error-prone, as when we go back to list we have to ensure that we don't skip any product.

1 Like

Hi @McMorry, thanks for providing the additional info regarding your particular use case. I understand the need now and can see how this may be a time-consuming and error-prone process, as you described. We've submitted this feature (list inside of a list item) to our product team for evaluation and future consideration.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.