Pie Charts, Bar Charts

Is it possible to add Charts/Graphs to ur app?

7 Likes

Not currently, but I will make sure to let the rest of our team know that users like yourself are asking for it! Thank you.

2 Likes

Yes , please add the charts to this as it is a critical part of any app development. Executives what to see pretty graphs. Thank you

@Oleg, when you share this with the Honeycode team, consider this alternative perspective - Do not add pie charts and bar charts!

• No development team or company in the history of data visualization has ever created the perfect charting solution. This is true because it's not easy despite the deep technical bench on your team.
  • The reason it's not easy to create a charting solution that works for everyone is that the possibilities for data visualization are too vast - e.g., the examples for Vega. You'll never get this right and the only chance you'll come close is by leveraging the vast wisdom of throngs of charting experts across the globe.
  • Instead of building a charting feature, why not build a charting integration tool - one that allows users to plug in any modern charting solution?

Moderator note: Removed "shouting" in all caps.

3 Likes

While I don't disagree with integration, I think some relatively basic charting/data visualization capability would be very helpful. I definitely need it. I'm looking to migrate to honeycode and just finished v1 of one of our internal apps, but desperately need some data visualization screens/summaries. Nothing fancy, but very much necessary.

I don't think having basic data visualization options means we can't also have integration with existing services. Our issue is we can't afford some of the existing visualization services, so that isn't always a sufficient option.

2 Likes

I think an option to get a data visualization solution is to use QuickSight and to use the API (get screen data) in order to extract the data and build your reports in QuickSight

Thank you for making my point. :slight_smile: Even if the team decides to provide a minimal charting solution, it will take far longer than providing a way to integrate existing free and open-source data visualization. Which would you prefer - 2 to 6 weeks for integrated data visuals or 16 to 20 weeks for a native solution?

If they spend 16 weeks developing a native solution, they'll have to spend another 16 weeks making it better, addressing shortfalls, and all while providing support and training content, etc. The alternative is quick and sheds the team of any need to think about how to best design data visualization infrastructure or support it.

Indeed, Airtable did exactly that; they built a native Chart Block which created some happy users but it also resulted in a vast user base that was largely disappointed and constantly in need to betterment. Users, by and large, became disenchanted with limitations.

They eventually realized how much the native chart block absorbed in terms of resources and the reality of the investment required to move it forward was significant. As such, they added Vega-Lite integration which took their chart options from 3 types to 210 types by simply support Vega grammars. Without any technical effort users can create simple charts; those with deep and complex visualization requirements also can have their needs addressed while the dev team focuses on core features.

This is why I suggested free and open-source options.

1 Like

Just wanted to say that I just love seeing the in-depth conversation happening here. Please know that all your inputs here are being read and hotly debated by our PM team! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, what @Oleg said! :arrow_up: :arrow_up: Keep the ideas flowing in, we're listening! :slight_smile:

Look, we all have opinions and I've stated mine. You throw out timelines as though they are some universal constant. No one knows that it will only take 2-6 weeks for one but no less than 16 weeks for the other.

I believe some basic visualization would be ideal. That's all I'm saying and I think it is a valid point. You have a valid point as well and in the end the developers will decide. Some of the visualization tools likely won't work for me. Example, to use Quicksight I need to be a lot smarter on the ability to use APIs - but if I could code like that I wouldn't need Honeycode, I'd build my own app. Second, to use Quicksight I have to upgrade my Honeycode plan, which I'm not ready to do especially because I have no clue where to start with APIs.

Airtable blocks were absolutely terrible, but that doesn't mean Honeycode developers can't do better. Past product failures don't automatically equate to future failures in other products.

I think minimal visualization tools would be great for people like me who know enough to get a functional app, but need just a little more help on some very basic visualization. Don't expect everyone to agree and apparently you don't, which is fine. And to answer your question, I'd prefer to wait if I got a vote.

1 Like

I agree :slight_smile: Your feedback is relevant, if you are able to use QuickSight and extract data through APIs you don’t need Honeycode... my proposal is more a short term alternative. However you are right, it could make sense to get a basic data viz / charts in Honeycode.

I'd love to use quicksight. I had not heard of it before and tried today - realized it was beyond my skillset lol. For people that use APIs it seems like a really good option.

1 Like

Indeed, I get it - you need basic charting capabilities, and preferably sooner. That's the business requirement. Implementation strategy is a wholly different idea.

All modern data visualization platforms that could be considered for integration into Honeycode come with the basics. I'm simply suggesting that customers -- all customers, even those with simple or complex visualization requirements -- could satisfied if the development team were given the opportunity to not become charting infrastructure builders and [alternatively] focus their limited resources on making it possible to blend vast charting intellect and investment from people who have spent decades in visualization challenges. The likely outcome of this strategy might get you the basics far quicker.

I agree; it's not a forgone conclusion. But data products with crappy charting solutions tend to have a customer base that regards these internal attempts as lacklustre; Airtable is just one recent example that missed the mark.

One of the challenges with tight chart couplings is that the very next customer requirement is a "dashboard", and in 2014 I explained why this is a bad idea too.

Agree on this. Would love to be able to get some basic chart and data visualization tools.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.