Using data in an automation email

On my post from October 30th named " Can I get Cell Data sent in emails? you fixed my problem with sending data in an email and it works great. That Automation in located on the form itself and uses data directly from the submission works as expected. The problem is there is a second automation that happens when the first approver clicks approve and then it goes on to a second approver. That automation then pulls data from the tables themselves and so it breaks things.

Here is the email I am trying to create

Test user has sent you a new purchase request.
Here are the details:
Subject: test of 499
Amount: $499.00
Full Description: This is a test of 499 to figure out what works and what does not.
Department: IT

Summary of budget for this item:
Attributed to which budget: Laptop upgrades
How much money has been used in the budget item: #N/A
How much money is left in that budget item: #N/A
Percentage used for this budget item: #N/A

So 3/4 of it works. It's just the last 3 lines that does not.
The "Attributed to which budget:" points to =[Budget Item] in the A_Purchase_History table and seems to work properly.
The "How much money has been used in the budget item:" should get the data from B_Budget[Budget Used] that corresponds with the line item [Budget Item] that was selected in the form.
Lines 3 and 4 are similar to 2 in that they are grabbing data from B_Budget[Amount Left] and B_Budget[Percentage used]

I assume you have to use FINDROW, but trying to figure out formulas has been very difficult for me.
This was my best guess out of many many tries.
=Findrow(B_Budget,"B_Budget[Budget Used]=%", "[Budget Item][Item Name]")
But I may have it totally messed up and not even close.

Any help you can give me would be very appreciated.

To put it simply. I just want to send these three to the user

When the item gaining approval matches one of these items

Hi @Mattimus! Thanks for linking in the previous post for reference. I'm happy to help. :slight_smile: :honeybee:

I'd recommend that you add a column to your items table, which is a rowlink to a budget the item is using. With that set up, your formulas would look like this:

Budget used: =$[Budgeted Item Picklist][BudgetColumnInItemTable][Budget Used]
Amount left: =$[Budgeted Item Picklist][BudgetColumnInItemTable][AmountLeft]
Percentage left: =$[Budgeted Item Picklist][BudgetColumnInItemTable][Percentage Used]

The first variable is the selected item, the next is the column in item table that is rowlinked to a budget, and the next column is the desired data to display in that particular budget row.

Hope that helps! Let us know if we can assist any further. :honey_pot:

I think I may have a picklist already doing what you have described, but I'm not sure.
Here are my two tables.

and

Also, another small clarification. This email is being sent from the Automations tab on the left hand side of the screen under "Next Approver"

Thank you. What you said really helped. It got me on the right track, but it ended up being...
=[Budget Item][Budget Used]
etc

1 Like

@Mattimus Great, I'm happy this helped and that you got it working! :slight_smile: :star2:

Let us know if you have any other questions as you continue to build.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.