Using Row data in Notification Automation

Is there a way to use row data in a Notification Automation? I have a table with users, whom are identified in the User table as Honeycode Contact Types.

I'm interested in emailing a group of Users when new rows are created. I want to identify which users to send email to, from data in the new row that triggered the New Row Automation.

To be specific, I assign Users to Groups. When a new row is created, I want to access the Group column in this new row, and then email the users belonging to that Group in the User Table.

David

Hi @David.Cramblett :smiley: Thanks for posting, it's nice to see you here again :honeybee: :honey_pot:

Yes, you can send a notification to a group of users when a new row is added to a table. Here's how you can set that up:

Here's a table of Users, which has a contact column and a column that is a rowlink to a Groups table:

You can then create an automation with a trigger of adding a row to a particular table:

Then add a "Notify" action step and click on the Run Options. Here, you can write a FILTER formula that specifies only users in a particular group:

=FILTER(Users,"Users[Group]=%","Group A")

Once you publish this automation, adding a new row to the table will send a notification to the users in the specified group.

Hope this helps! :slight_smile: Let us know if you have any other questions. :honey_pot:

Thank you for this help.

What if "Group A" needs to be dynamically set from data in Table1? Essentially the person entering the data into Table1 has a picklist for the Group they are assigning the row of data to. I want that FILTER function to use the "Group" column from Table1 in the row that was just generated.

=FILTER ( Users, "Users[Group]=%", [reference-Table1-column-Group-from-new-row-here] )

David

@David.Cramblett Got it, I see what you're looking for :slight_smile:

If you wish to be able to dynamically select a group, you can do so with an automation in the app (i.e. on a button on a screen). Here's how that would look:

Here's a screen with a field (or multiple fields) to add data to a row in Table 1. There's also a field that is a rowlink to the Groups table to select a group:

On the button, there's an automation with an action to add a row (add data from the input fields) and a notify action that is set up similar to the table automation example I showed in my previous example. The difference is that the group is reference by the picklist variable:

=FILTER(Users, "Users[Group]=%", $[GroupSelector])

With this set up, the data will be added to Table1 and the group to assign to and notify is dynamically selected by the user. Let us know if that helps! :slight_smile: :honeybee: :honey_pot:

Got it. So I will move my notification automation from being directly created on the table, over to an automation on my submission form in the application. Then I can reference variables on the form. This sounds great. Thanks again for this help.

1 Like

@David.Cramblett Yes, that's correct :slight_smile:

You're welcome, always happy to help! :honeybee:

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.