Variable picklists

Hey all,

I've got a picklist setup such that the internal values are based off the decision made in a different picklist placed higher up in the form. IE: The first picklist selects a country, and the second selects provinces/states. I've got the second picklist values stored in a table such that the left most column has the desired values and with a second column used for filtering based off country. The issue is, say that a user has selected USA in the first picklist, then Washington in the second, If the user goes back to the first picklist and changes that value to say Canada. The second picklist errors out and shows #VALUE! as Washington is no longer an option available in that list.

All that to say, is there a better way to make that second picklist roll back to the default, none selected, or do I need to set up an action on the first picklist that clears the second on change? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Hi @Justin, welcome to the community and thanks for posting! :smiley: :wave:

For a solution, you can use conditional visibility to make the second picklist appear blank if another value is selected in the first. This is how it would look:

In Builder, select the content box which contains the picklist. Under conditional styling, create a style with white text and for the formula put: =ISERROR($[Picklist2])

If an error returns, the field will appear blank. Here's how it looks in action:

I select a value from both picklists:

Now if I select another value from the first picklist, the second one appears blank:

Hope this helps, and let us know if you have any other questions. :honey_pot: :honeybee:

1 Like

Hmmm, that works to mask the error state at least, but it's not a perfect solution as there's still a hover state style that ends up making the value look like the ghost of values past
Capture2
And it makes me wonder what screen reading software will announce to a user when they tab onto that field

Correct, that solution would have the ghost text; it's a work-around, although not ideal.

I've raised this with the team to take a look at the errors in cascading drop-downs, and to see how we can improve the experience in Honeycode of setting a default text for fields that depend on other variables.

Hope that idea helps for now, but know we'll be looking to improve this. :honeybee:

1 Like