Automatically initialize rowlinks for imported tables

• What’s your feature request?
    Automatically initialize rowlinks for imported tables when column is formatted as rowlink.

• What’s the problem that you’re looking to solve?
    We have several LAMP (Linux/Apache/MySQL/PHP) applications that would be good candidates for migration to Honeycode. We need to develop a workflow that makes this as easy as practical.

• How are you/is your team currently blocked?
    Rowlinks are a great concept, but they don't initialize to actual links when imported table columns are formatted to be rowlinks. The only solutions we've found are to manually pick each individual rowlink cell, or build temporary automations to create temporary tables to update every rowlink column in every table. This is unmanageable.

Since we're telling Honeycode what the rowlink field references, couldn't the format process simply establish valid rowlink entries at format time? Worst case, you might have to tell it which field of the linked table is referenced by the rowlink filed, but we (like most folks) always use the first field as the index.

Moderator note: Cleaned up formatting.

2 Likes

Hey @Mr-Bill , thanks for your suggestion. If I understand your suggestion correctly, you would like to automatically detect and assign picklists when they are present in data. Is this correct? If so, have you considered the picklist wizard? You can access it by clicking on the "Wizards" button in the Table toolbar and clicking on the "Create Picklist" from there.

Here's an example. I have two tables that may look like ones you import from a database. One is a products table with Product ID, Name and a Category ID. The Category ID links rows in this table to rows in a Category table.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 5.48.57 PM

The Category table has Category ID, Category and Description.

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 5.49.05 PM

When I run the wizard, I get a suggestion to convert the category ID to a picklist and link it to the Category table. My data is then automatically converted to a picklist.

picklistwizard

Does this help your use case or were you looking for something different?

2 Likes

That's interesting! If you use the wizard, it creates actual rowlinks. If you do it by hand, it doesn't. I didn't use the wizard because it comes up with dozens of suggestions when I just want one.
Thanks for the tip.
I still would like the manual process to create actual rowlinks, but this is a good alternative.

@Mr-Bill Glad to know it worked. Thanks for the feedback on the alternative! I've made a note to our product managers working on the area so they're aware.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.