Help - Using a button to update information on a particular row

Hello,
I am having trouble with an automation I have used several times in other apps I have built and am wondering if someone can tell me where I am going wrong.

My app has a button to confirm students on an assignment. Once the button is triggered it is supposed to pass a timestamp into the [Student Confirmation] cell for the row matching =$[Job ID]. In this screenshot that would be Job ID 17, which is also the first column in the corresponding worksheet "Scheduling".

Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 5.09.55 AM
Screen Shot 2021-09-09 at 5.17.02 AM

I am sure there is an error in how the automation is written, but I am just not seeing it at the moment.

Appreciate your help!

Hi @DannyHoney, nice to see you! I'm happy to help you out :slight_smile: :honey_pot:

On this screenshot, I'm not seeing any syntax errors. However, if you see that error when clicking the button, there's likely a formula or step in the automation not evaluating correctly. Are there additional steps to this automation?

If this is an automation copied from another app, variables and sources may need to be updated. For example, if there is a step to navigate to another screen or update a screen, check that those steps map to existing elements in this app. Also, I'd check if the variable you are matching is comparing against is the same type (for example, comparing a rowlink to a rowlink, and not a rowlink to a column).

Let us know if that helps point you in the right direction, and if you need any further assistance with troubleshooting. :honeybee:

Hi Alyssa,

Nice to see you again too! :slight_smile:
I double checked the format for rows and items in builder and everything looked good.

The solution that I found was to add the button in the same block where Booking ID and Job ID appear in the builder. Any insight on why it would not work when housed in a separate block?

Hi @DannyHoney :honey_pot:

Got it, I'm glad you found a solution! :slight_smile: The reason why that works is because the block had the data source needed for formula. If you click on a block, you can see the source in the properties under the data tab:

If you create a new block, you'll want to set the data source accordingly to reference the data you need.

Hope that helps clarify, and let us know if you have any other questions. :honeybee: :slight_smile:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.